WCSA Bulletin Board Forum Index WCSA Bulletin Board
World Class Soaring Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Jump to.....WCSA website 

Marfa, TX - invitation to practice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burt Compton

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Marfa, TX - invitation to practice Reply with quote

First, we hope you have a wonderful contest with Jayne & Frank.

After the Nationals at Bermuda High, bring your PW-5's to Marfa this summer (2005) to practice for the World Class Nationals to be held here June 19-29, 2006. Before making the trip, please email me in advance at marfagliders@aol.com

If you are at Bermuda High, see Ann & John Byrd for packets I sent with maps & tourist info about Marfa, Fort Davis and the Big Bend area. Chat with John Byrd and Bill Snead about flying PW-5's at Marfa - both have been flying sailplanes here since the 1960's.

I have a "Pre-Marfa Projects" list to share with you via e-mail by your request. It contains suggestions on preparing your glider, trailer, and crew for flying a Marfa. Since MRF airport is almost 5,000' msl and cloudbases can exceed 14,000' msl, you will need oxygen (we use the Aerox brand.) We will be able to refill your O2 bottles with the common CGA 540 threaded fitting. Double your drinking water capacity in your cockpit. Bring spare parts including tire tubes for the occasional cactus thorn.

I strongly suggest that you bring a capable CREW. There are lots of landable off-airport areas, but few airports. Aerotow retrieves are unlikely.

So, grab an El Paso sectional (or WAC CH-23) and head to Marfa this summer. We'll show you a good time!

Kathie & Burt Compton
Marfa Gliders, west Texas
email: marfagliders@aol.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WCSA Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: