WCSA Bulletin Board Forum Index WCSA Bulletin Board
World Class Soaring Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Jump to.....WCSA website 

Tail Ballast Weight and Balance

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael_Poe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Tail Ballast Weight and Balance Reply with quote

I'm trying to calculate the proper amount of tail ballast for my pilot and baggage loaded sailplane. Should be simple enough but the weight and balance limit chart in the maintenance manual is for Empty sailplance.

How do I find or calculate the limits for Sailplane with Pilot / Baggage such as you would find in a powered airplance manual?

Cheers,

Michael Poe
PW-5
N515DD
Bill Snead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I weight about 215 pounds with my parachute on and fly my B1 PW-5 with all four of the tail weights in place. The glider recovers nicely from stalls and spins. It also handles nice in thermals.

Bill Snead
Michael_Poe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much does each ballast weigh?
pinf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,
The typical lever arm for the pilot weight location and the lever arm for the tail location are in the maintenance manual and/or on the protocol sheet for weighing that should have come with the ship. With the lever arms, you can calculate where your CG is with respect to the datum and acceptable range. I have found that a CG located at about 70% aft in the range works well with mine for the type of speed I typically cruise at and for my thermalling.
Bring your manuals at the Eagleville GTA next week and we'll look at it together.
François
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WCSA Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: