WCSA Bulletin Board Forum Index WCSA Bulletin Board
World Class Soaring Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Jump to.....WCSA website 

Marfa Wave and Thermal Camp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WCSA Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Upcoming Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ptuckey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: Marfa Wave and Thermal Camp Reply with quote

For anyone who has not had the oportunity to fly at Marfa, the upcomming wave and thermal camp (sometime around Easter) is a great way to not only get a view of the area (which might be the site of a World Class national contest sometime soon), but also to get a fantastic start on the new soaring season. I flew my 1-26 there a few years ago, and had a wonderful time.

I am hoping Burt will chime in with some more details for those who might be interested.

Pat
Burt Compton

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Soaring at Marfa, west Texas Reply with quote

See the next post for 2006 Wave Camp and PW-5 National Contest info.

By the way, we soar year-round at Marfa - you don't need to wait for the Spring Wave Camp or the June Nationals to fly your PW-5 here!

I also offer year-round training and checkrides for your friends who need to finish their glider rating for PVT/COM/CFIG.

Big airport - big sky!

Burt Compton, Master CFIG, FAA Designated Examiner
Marfa Gliders, west Texas
email: marfagliders@aol.com

Last edited by Burt Compton on Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Burt Compton

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Marfa 2006 Reply with quote

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:11 am Post subject: Soaring at Marfa, west Texas

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 8 - 15, 2006 are the dates of the Marfa Wave Camp. We thermal up to wave, and winds at the surface and aloft can be quite strong in March-April. Note that our spring soaring is NOT like the conditions of the May - September thermal soaring that Marfa is famous for. The legendary contests of the 1960's -'70's were held in late June, when thermals can exceed 10 knots and cloudbase may be near 18,000'.

If you wish to fly at the Marfa Wave Camp register with Dick Johnson at jdsoar@wans.net See the announcement in the calendar section of your "Soaring" mag.

To best serve you, please let me know when you are coming to Marfa! If you have never flown at Marfa, email me for some suggested "Pre-Marfa Projects" before bringing your glider out here, at marfagliders@aol.com Since Marfa Airport is already at 5,000' msl, you will need an oxygen system in your PW-5.

I strongly recommend you bring an experienced chase-crew to Marfa. Much of the grassy plateau is landable but access roads and ranch houses are miles apart. See the El Paso Aero Chart to see what I mean. Then again, soaring conditions can be so good, landing out isn't likely, but having a your crew under you can expedite retrieves. Aerotow retrieves are unlikely.

We will host the 2006 World Class Nationals June 20 - 29. Register soon on www.ssa.org so we can arrange extra towplanes, if needed, and plan the social events!

Kathie and I are looking forward to seeing you at Marfa - any time of year. Website: www.flygliders.com Click on "Marfa Gliders" then on the PW-5 Contest button.

We'll show you a good time!

Burt Compton, Master CFIG / FAA Designated Examiner
Marfa Gliders, west Texas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WCSA Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Upcoming Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: